Pages

11/24/2012

The Art of Being An Artist

I ran across this recently. It speaks volumes. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 10 Things Artists Should Be Thankful For Sylvia White September 22, 2011 Art of Being an Artist “Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind. ” Lionel Hampton By the time most artists come to see me, they are usually beaten down and depressed by the struggles of the artworld. They have been abused by their galleries, taken for granted by their collectors, misunderstood by their families and exhausted from juggling real life with creative need. It is so easy to forget how special you are, when there is no one around to remind you, but you. So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I give you my list of 10 Things Artists Should Be Thankful For. Print this out, fold it up and put in your wallet. Send it to your artist friends. Read it whenever you feel all your work is for nothing and you are thinking maybe you should just stop making art and grow up. Post it in your studio when you are wondering what the heck you are going to do with all this work? But, most of all…believe it. Remember, it is impossible to feel thankful and be depressed at the same time. 1. I am thankful that I am not one of the majority of people in this world that wakes up every morning, goes to a job they hate, just to come home and do it all over again. 2. I am thankful that when I am away from my studio, my ideas come with me, they keep me company everywhere I go. 3. I am thankful for this passion that gives me so much joy (and angst) but mostly joy. 4. I am thankful that when I have left this earth, I will leave something meaningful behind. 5. I am thankful that I have a mind that can not sleep, I will never be bored. 6. I am thankful that there is a part of my life that nobody can control, except me. 7. I am thankful that no one in the world can ever take this gift from me. 8. I am thankful that I am brave, it takes courage to pursue my gift. 9. I am thankful that I am never satisfied, it forces me to move forward and grow. 10. I am thankful I discovered this list! Pass it on
Thanks for visiting.

1 comment: