Pages

10/23/2015

All Things Altered - Part 1

Two years ago around this time I really went all out. I discovered the great pleasure of altering pumpkins. Everything from collaging them to painting them to doodling on them. I gave a lot of them away to family, friends and coworkers. I had shellacked them all and the ones I kept sat on my dining room table until just after Thanksgiving. I was kind of sad when I had to toss them in the garbage. I got the itch to alter some more this year. I discovered when the fall season was over last year that you could buy artificial pumpkins so I bought a couple. Hmm. Good idea. You can leave them out until just before Christmas I thought. I wanted to show you all sides. I discovered two years ago if I gessoed the pumpkin first (because of it's slippery surface) that paint would really take hold. Otherwise you're just moving paint around and it's not sticking to anything. So between using my fingers, small sponges and paint brushes I got that paint down. I think I did several layers followed by my homemade stencils ( I made with a hot glue gun) and homemade stamps made from foam shapes glued to a piece of cardboard. Pretty simple and pretty good results if I do say so. Finally, I added some pen work and doodling with various markers and pens. I took it outside one afternoon and gave it several coats of spray shellac. This one was also gessoed in the beginning but then I decided to collage it. I had already done some painting on deli paper and then finished it with the homemade stamps and stencils and shellac. So here's the question. Can you tell which of these two is the real one and which one is the artificial one? Usually I am late for this very important date at Paint Party Friday but for once I am early or perhaps right on time. Go here. Thanks Eva and Kristin. You will feel welcome and they've lots of good treats. Thanks for visiting here.

27 comments:

  1. Oh Jo. You have really got me going now. I have been staring at these for ages trying to work out which is the real pumpkin. The one on the left is more of a regular pumpkin shape but that could mean it is the artificial one. I want to say that the left one is the real one but I am going say the right one is the real one. (I think????).
    btw you have made me want to run out and get a pumpkin and give it a go. Thanks for your thoughts on coloured pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, totally fantastic! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pumpkins, Jo, especially the yellow and black one. They all (last year's and this year's) have a Mexican look to them to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, Cant tell. But what a clever idea! These are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are spectacular. Love all of them. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so much fun to see! I can't really tell which one is the "real" one but I'm guessing it's the blue one .... ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so stunning...you already know how much I love them! I'd be tempted to take them out after Christmas too.. such gorgeous artwork! Love that you shared them with friends and coworkers too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  8. what fun! I have been tempted to pick up a few of these pumpkins from the craft store to decorate-but just not enough time ...happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow these look amazing... kind of makes me want to have a bit of a play with something similar

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your altered pumpkins are wonderful. Really original and striking!
    They sell styrofoam pumpkins at the dollar store for lazy carvers like me and I wonder if the paint would adhere to those!
    Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I love all the beautiful pumpkins you painted for your family and friends. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I can't tell but I COVET them both!!!!!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish we had some kind of Halloween in Turkey. Hacking pumpkins really looks like a lot of fun.And of course most of you have lovely porches to display them. They could be great table centerpieces, too.I liked all the colors and the patterns. doesn't it feel great when you use your own handmade stamps?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic alterings. Very beautiful art works.
    Happy weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is what I love about PPF because it's so inspiring and you never know what you will see.
    I'd never have thought to paint or alter a pumpkin other than to carve them.
    But I love your amazing designs.
    Have a wonderful weekend ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. these are really pretty nice pieces; great pumpkin art

    have a good weekend and i'm happy you dropped by my blog

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE this idea. Especially with the fake pumpkins. So you have them longer. And can even keep them for years. Yours are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jo these are FABULOUS!!!!! So creative. Brings the pumpkins to life weather they are real or not. Well done.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pumpkin decoration! I am now inspired to go and do a few of my own :).

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous idea!!! Wow! These are just great. I'd never thought of pumpkin art before! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are just gorgeous, Jo, and such a good idea to go artificial so they don't spoil. Thanks for all the tips, too. I think the green one is the real one(?)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are awesome, Jo!! What a fun idea
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on being the featured artist, Jo. Love the pumpkins

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great way to decorate pumpkins. I'm glad you found the plastic ones. The real ones make terrific pies. Yes, the big ones make just as nice pies as the small ones do.

    Congrats on being featured at PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jo - love the decorated pumpkins! I love your designs and the idea to use artificial ones to have them last longer!

    ReplyDelete